I am a runner, a vegetarian and I exercise on a regular basis, so I crave protein all day long. This recipe is an overload of protein, is very healthy, and is relatively cheap to make.
- 2 can of black beans
- 1 can of red beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 2 cups of water
(Ultimately you can use any variation of beans you desire)
- Lightly mash beans and set aside for later
- 2 white onions diced
- 2 Bell peppers (you can use green bell peppers but its better with yellow or red).
- Chili Powder/ (I use a medium spice) (add to taste)
- Olive Oil (use as much as needed for sauteing vegetables)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
First saute onions and Bell peppers with olive oil and chili powder. At first be conservative with the chili powder. You can easily add more chili powder at a later time but you can’t really take it out. After the vegetable have softened then add the mashed up beans, salt and water.
Heat to a boil and then serve. For an extra shot of protein add cheese and a dollop of greek yogurt. The greek yogurt is high in protein and a healthy substitute for sour cream. If you so wish you can also add chicken, or beef. This recipe can easily be made in 10 to 20 minutes.